About the CarbonX™ Carbon Fiber Nylon 3D Printing Filament
Manufactured in the USA by 3DXTech, CarbonX™ CFR Carbon Fiber Reinforced Nylon Filament is a semi-aromatic polyamide copolymer reinforced with high-modulus carbon fiber. This filament is ideal for anyone that desires a structural component with high modulus, improved chemical and thermal resistance, excellent surface quality, and ease of printing. Tired of nylon that warps? This is the answer you've been looking for. Excellent dimensional stability comes from the carbon fiber and the semi-aromatic nylon.
Why is it important that CarbonX™ CFR Nylon is a semi-aromatic polyamide? Semi-aromatic nylons have a large cyclical structure in its backbone which makes them stiffer, more chemically resistant, less moisture sensitive, and have improved dimensional stability vs. aliphatic nylons such as PA6, PA66, and PA12.
Download the Technical Data Sheet.
Chemical Resistance Chart
Please note: Customers should test their parts to determine end-use suitability using this polymer.
CarbonX™ CFR Nylon is suitable for use in practically any desktop 3D Printer that has a heated bed. Please note - carbon fiber reinforced filaments are abrasive and can wear out a brass or aluminum nozzle. We recommend our Hercules Hardened A2 Steel Nozzles
*Please note: 2kg and 4kg reels are special order and generally take 2-3 days to ship. XL reel dimensions are 11.75" diameter, 4" wide, 2" arbor.
- High Modulus Carbon Fiber - excellent stiffness
- Semi-Aromatic Polyamide
- Lower moisture uptake vs. PA6
- Improved chemical resistance vs. PA6
- Less shrinkage / warp vs. PA6
- Low-Gloss Surface
- Excellent Printability
- Works as an excellent replacement for Markforged ONYX Carbon Fiber Nylon
Recommended Print Conditions:
- Extruder: 240-270°C. CarbonX™ CFR Nylon exhibits improved layer bonding at higher temperatures.
- Nozzle: 0.4mm or larger. We currently recommend our Hercules Hardened A2 Steel Nozzles
- Bed Temp: 100 - 110°C
- Bed Prep: Polyimide Tape, Clean glass with ABS/Acetone Slurry
- Drying - very important. This product is supplied dry and sealed in thick 4mil pouch with several packs of desiccant. However, it is made using nylon and will absorb more moisture than other resins when left exposed to the environment. Excessive moisture will result in popping at the nozzle (water boiling off, a little steam) and excessive drooling and nozzle build-up. Make sure to keep this filament in a dry location between uses. If the filament does get wet, you can dry it out with a basic toaster oven (not one for the family food!). We recommend drying it for 2-3 hours at 70-80°C.
- Caution: Make sure to check back often to make sure you're not distorting / melting the reel - the reel itself has lower thermal resistance than the nylon filament and will distort / melt before the nylon.